Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

The Next Tupac

   

   As an MC, I'm prone to name drop and compare myself to other artists. "Tupac Reincarnated, More Like Biggie's ghost." - (https://soundcloud.com/dskillzharris/i-got-it-1) I've been compared to Tupac (half revolutionary, half thug)but it's never something that I held on to. If anything, I'd rather focus on building my own legacy, and putting my city on, rather than trying to follow his footsteps. If anyone should be seen as the next Tupac Shakur, it's Vince Staples.

  The first Vince Staples song that I heard was "Super." After that, I searched for more of his songs, eventually finding his first song, from Earl SweatShirt's album "Earl." The Left Brain produced track called "Epar." After that, I found Shyne Coldchain Vol.1. I listened to a new rapper who mixed together street smarts, sports knowledge, and strong flow with wordplay.

Like Tupac, Vince Staples is surrounded by a stable of many other great artists. Tupac was affiliated with Digital Underground. Vince Staples, is closely affiliated with Odd Future, and is a member of the Cutthroat Boyz with Joey Fatts and Aston Matthews. Vince hails from Long Beach, California. A.K.A. the home of Snoop Dogg / "Snoop Lion." In a song he once said, "Dre and Easy weren't heroes to us." I'm assuming that since he's from Long Beach, he was alluding to Snoop. I believe that he is a better lyricist than Snoop but Snoop is part of his foundation. They're both seen as "Gangsta Rappers", they're both Crips, and both of them speak their mind. "Kittens soft, but in they songs they trappin hard as Jeezy." - Vince Staples in "Hive" by Earl Sweatshirt.

If you haven't heard him spit, you need to.
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment